Working under the general direction of the Engineering Manager, the Sr. Project Engineer focuses on engineering, capital planning and execution at the plant. The Sr. Project Engineer leads a significant capital portfolio for the plant in addition to leading other engineering professionals and provides an exciting opportunity to be responsible for all project management activities including project leadership, planning, execution, controls, and business results. This position presents a unique opportunity to manage the capital and engineering projects by leveraging cross-functional expertise while providing exposure to safety, continuous improvement, finance, production processes, and utilities. The Sr. Project Engineer plays an integral role in planning and leading reliability and process improvement initiatives.
- Provides leadership to the engineering team on-site in the area of project management practices, strategies and procedures.
- Leads reviews utilizing knowledge of the project development process for projects.
- Identifies, recommends, and implements project management best practices.
- Provides direct supervision to the engineering team and is responsible for providing coaching, technical guidance and mentorship to functional leads as appropriate.
- Champions and leads behavioral based safety process throughout every phase of the project ensuring all projects are planned and executed in compliance with laws and regulations.
- Prepares the project priority list in conjunction with the plant management team to execute not only the capital project but also the projects to enhance the maintenance reliability program and to drive continuous process improvement.
- Prepares the plan for how the projects are executed, monitored and controlled.
- Partners with cross-functional professionals to leverage knowledge and strategies that increase value realization throughout the project.
- Leads the development of the project scope based on knowledge of project management.
- Leads the execution of multiple projects with low to medium complexity or a single project with high complexity.
- Uses project management framework to achieve technical projects objectives of delivered safely, on time and on budget with realized operability results.
- In addition to managing the capital and efficiency related project portfolio, this role will be responsible for planning and executing projects based on the complexity and importance.
- Regularly measures and monitors project progress to identify variances from the plan and works to make needed corrections.
- Provides sponsor and stakeholders with a routine status of the project, actively communicating technical issues and risks, and ensuring that leadership alignment is a priority.
- Ensures that projects meet the operability requirements laid out in the project objectives by the business.
- Accountable for achieving strategic and tactical metrics from internal and external benchmarking, which may include safety, operability index, cost index and schedule indexes.
The Sr. Project engineer also manages and maintains all internal/external reporting requirements as defined by regulations and corporate guidelines to monitor and improve the plant utilities to reduce energy costs and performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in chemical, mechanical, civil engineering or similar technical engineering discipline with 10+ years of experience in engineering & capital project management
- Demonstrated strong leadership and communication skills
- Keen sense of prioritization (sees what needs to be done, assesses degree of urgency and importance, and translates vision in to results); requires demonstrated expertise in managing multiple tasks, projects, and deadlines in a highly dynamic environment
- Extensive knowledge and application of concepts, and ability to assess the feasibility and soundness of proposed engineering tests, processes, etc.
- Candidate must demonstrate the ability to
- Identify useful connections in data or situations
- Set stretch goals for performance improvement
- Recognize and act on emerging problems
- Identify mutually beneficial solutions
- Ability to develop and manage good working relationships with internal departments (Production, QA, Warehouse, Maintenance, contractors, suppliers, and inspectors) including the ability to influence peers and cross functional stakeholders.
- Positive attitude and problem-solving mentality with demonstrated continuous improvement proficiency
- Previous budget management experience
- Requires a sound performance record of leading or working within strong teams, establishing collaborative relationships with internal/external customers and demonstrate effective communication techniques.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver presentations effectively at key internal meetings.
- Computer literacy including: Microsoft Office, AutoCAD
- Excellent communication skills (listening, written, presentation) with demonstrated ability to effectively communicate and interact with all levels of the organization