Supports both PLC and DCS control systems throughout the mill. This position is responsible for designing and implementing controls, maintaining and troubleshooting control systems, and finding and implementing control improvements. In order to best support the mill’s operations and capital projects this position acts as the primary process control representative to all Production areas (Utilities, Paper Mill, and Pulp Mill). The position also works across production areas to support to Multiple Projects in all areas of the plant. As the mill upgrades obsolete control systems, this position will share responsibility for working with outside engineering resources to research and answer technical issues ensuring successful, on-schedule migrations with event-free startups. This engineer also manages projects within the engineering team and with external engineering support / consultants. The controls engineers also stay current with technology and vendors.
· Provide primary Process Control support to assigned production areas within the mill; work closely with process area owners to determine and meet process control needs.
· Work with departments and other engineers to develop alternatives and estimates for proposed capital and major maintenance projects.
· Provide Project Management and Process Control in the implementation of capital projects
· Support of the Maintenance team in troubleshooting problems with the processes and the process control systems
· Assist in training and knowledge sharing with operators and E/I mechanics on process control systems to help improve their operating and troubleshooting effectiveness
· As part of the Process Control Team, share in the responsibility of providing weekend and off-hour support for Process Control mill needs
· Plan, configure, test, implement, and maintain process control system upgrades and modifications
What you need to succeed:
· Process Knowledge of Pulp and Paper Manufacturing.
· Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, preferably Electrical Engineering or Electrical Engineering Technology
· Strong computer skills including data analysis.
· Experience with control loop tuning, performance evaluation tools and process data historians (i.e. OSI PI, Control Performance Monitor).
· Experience with instrumentation and electrical systems associated with Process Control Systems.
· Experience in Ethernet Networking and Industrial Communication Protocols.
· Strong written and verbal communication skills.
· Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment.
· Demonstrated ability to work effectively with individuals at all levels of an organization.
· Ability to manage multiple priorities.
· Experience with Foxboro I/A Series DCS is a plus.
· Ability to manage capital projects from concept to installation, start-up and commissioning support.