The Regional Sales Manager (ROAD WARRIOR) will be responsible for sales of activated carbon to specific accounts in a designated territory. This position will report to the National Sales Manager. The primary objective of this position is to build effective and mutually beneficial relationships with customers and implement sales contracts with coal fired power companies within the region, as well as other large users of activated carbon and identified channel partners. The incumbent is expected to represent company in a knowledgeable and professional manner; s/he will be required to work collaboratively with Operations, R&D, Finance, Logistics, Customer Service and other company functions to achieve customer preference while enhancing the profitability of the Company.
- Individual Contributor
- No direct reports
- Works with National Sales Manager to establish territory goals and strategic priorities
- Build strong customer relationships within all accounts to ensure company is included on all RFQ’s and is the supplier of choice.
- Create customer preference demonstrated by customer willingness to provide company right of last refusal or guidance throughout the bid process.
- Networks customers to acquire insight into key buying criteria that will allow company to develop a specific strategy that distinguishes us from the competition.
- Responsible for average sales price and volume goal achievement at specific accounts to meet company revenue targets.
- Make oral and written sales presentations when necessary to represent company products
- Prepare correspondence as necessary to facilitate sales activities. This would include writing proposals, completing formal RFQ’s, letters, reports, emails, etc.
- Prepare and submit requested Call Reports, Weekly Highlight Reports, Expense Reports, as well as other requested information in a professional and timely manner.
- Prepare quarterly updated forecasts for existing customers and new targeted business.
- Understand and communicate market dynamics of the specific accounts. This would include competitive activity and pricing, market trends, regulation updates and customer news.
- Partner with EGU customers and R&D to administer and observe product testing at the EGU physical plant
- Interacting with Computers-Using computers and computers systems to set up functions, enter data or process information
- Gathering and distilling customer and market information-Observing, receiving and otherwise obtaining information from relevant sources, using information to gain insight into customers unmet needs
- Making Decisions and Solving Problems-Analyzing information and evaluating results to choose the best solution, make recommendations and solve problems
- Documenting and Recording Information-Entering, transcribing, recording, storing or maintaining information in written or electronic form
- Communicating with internal and external customers-Providing information to supervisors, coworkers and customers by telephone, in written form, by email or in person-including presentations
- Processing Information-Compiling, coding, categorizing, calculating, tabulating, auditing, or verifying information or data
- Establishing and Maintaining Interpersonal Relationships-Developing constructive and cooperative working relationships with others and maintaining them over time
- Evaluating Information to Determine Compliance with Standards-Using relevant information and individual judgment to determine whether events or processes comply with standards
- Travel-Travel by air and car approximately 50-60% of work schedule. Overnight travel is required
- Relationship Building-Develop strong business relationships with key decision-makers through appropriate business entertainment and networking.
|Knowledge & Skills
- Ability to learn and apply the company business selling philosophy and processes in an effective manner
- Ability to quickly gain basic understanding of company technology and applications
- Ability to understand and articulate the company value proposition to customers in a compelling manner
- Exceptional organizational and time management skills; must be able to self-manage and direct one’s own work within the parameters set forth by the VP of Sales
- Strong grasp of the English Language; knowledge of the structure and content of the English language, including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of grammar and composition.
- Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra and their applications
- Proficiency in MS Office Products including PowerPoint, Word and Excel
- Proven success with multi-level selling
- Ability to use CRM software such as SalesForce.com
- Ability to collaborate with sales colleagues, Operations, R&D, Finance, Customer Service and other internal partners.
- Strong communication skills, including active listening, clear and concise written and verbal communication, effective presentation skills
- Must be a critical thinker and innovator
- Strong business acumen
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience
- 3-5 years sales experience preferred but not required
- Gathers information and identifies the need for and collects appropriate information to better understand business issues, problems, and opportunities and to identify sales prospects; asks relevant questions to verify facts, clarify customer needs and implications, and obtain additional information about the customer’s circumstances and likely competitors
- Seeks to understand customer’s personal needs before identifying a solution; creates competitive advantage by linking solutions to business drivers that will help customers “win”
- Shares values added insight and demonstrates personal credibility by sharing pertinent information, expertise, and insight that could impact customer’s current or future business success
- Navigates organizational politics by understanding and being sensitive to the customer’s complex organizational realities and relationships to accomplish goals; positions ideas and actions to maneuver through politicized issues; addresses the concerns of all relevant parties; deals effectively with people at various levels of the organization
- Follows customer’s cues; continually takes customer’s pulse to understand where they are coming from and where they are emotionally; attends closely to customer’s questions and comments to make sure all parties are attuned; quickly picks up on and responds to emotional cues; manages the conversation by adapting own interaction style and approach to others’ emotional states
|Building trusting relationships
- Strong desire and ability to initiate and develop personal relationships with customers, connects easily with new people; puts others at ease and gains personal acceptance
- Helps others have a personal win, recognizes and supports other’s personal stake in business objectives; helps promote others’ agendas that are consistent with the sales objectives; acts as a collaborative partner
- Treats people with dignity, respect and fairness; sincerely compliments others’ contributions; redirect the discussion when others’ esteem is threatened; shows empathy and understanding in response to stated concerns; avoids minimizing or ignoring others’ feelings; offers assurances about issues of concern.
- Demonstrates openness in dealing with others; shares personal agenda; acts in a manner consistent with organizational, social and moral values; ensures that words and actions are consistent; keeps commitments to agreed-upon actions
- Relishes learning, shows inquisitiveness and eagerness to gain sales or business related knowledge; scans the environment for formal and informal experiences that can provide new skills, behaviors, and/or knowledge; proactively makes time for these key experiences
- Readily absorbs and comprehends new information from formal and informal learning experiences; quickly sizes up new situations or information and isolates the most important elements
- Seeks and readily accepts feedback on own performance; uses feedback constructively to improve knowledge, skills and behaviors
- Applies knowledge or skill; puts new knowledge, understanding or skill to practical use on the job; furthers learning through trial and error
- Must have a competitive spirit; willing to go up against competitors to make a sale; enjoys opportunities to prove ability to sell better than others
- Retains focus and demonstrates resilience and adaptability in the face of obstacles; effectively channels emotions to manage job challenges and stress; handles disappointment and/or rejection without losing effectiveness
- Drives toward success, possesses an energetic and tenacious achievement orientation; proactively seeks business opportunities; strives to gain competitive advantage; takes action for a recognized benefit despite uncertainty of outcome
- Engages people, attends to the needs and feelings of others to develop effective customer partnerships and other work relationships; relates to people easily by having diverse interests and high likability factor
- Sustains positive outlook; approaches sales challenges with confidence of success; remains realistically optimistic when pursuing sales objectives
- Takes a creative approach; thinks unconventionally when faced with sales challenges; is open to new ideas